Saturday, May 21, 2011

Remembering Macho Man Randy Savage

"OHHH YEAAHHHH...CAN YOU DIG IT."

It is a catch phrase that will be engraved into wrestling laurels for generations.

When I heard that Macho Man Randy Savage died yesterday in a car accident I was devastated. I know some people reading this will ask why I am sad over a wrestler's death.

Well i'll tell you that Savage was one of my favorite wrestlers growing up.

When I first started watching wrestling Savage, along with Hulk Hogan, captured my imagination and made me fall in love with a genre that I still love to this day.

My favorite Randy Savage memory wasn't his classic Wrestlemania 3 Intercontinental Title Match with Ricky Steamboat as it is most people's favorite. However, it was his feud with Jake The Snake Roberts that was my most memorable.

On an episode of WWF Superstars Savage came to the rescue of an enhancement wrestler that Roberts beat. Roberts was about to put his snake Damien on him until Savage had enough and came to his aid.

Savage turned his back for a moment to attend to the wrestler for Roberts to blindside him. He proceeded to tie Savage to the ropes and, which is one of the most famous moments in WWE history, sicced Damien onto Savage's arm and proceeded to bite his flesh.

It turned out to be one of the greatest rivalries in WWE history as Savage was reinstated back to wrestling after losing a retirement match to Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania 7.

I was actually in attendance when they battled at Tuesday in Texas in 1991. That was the event where Roberts infamously hit Savage's wife at the time Elizabeth.

I have met many wrestlers in my lifetime, but sometimes I forget that I met Savage back in 1994 when he was part of WCW at the old Kids Fair event they used to have at the Alamodone. The reason I forget is because I always thought of him as a WWE guy, and I have met more wrestlers who were in WWE than WCW.

At the time San Antonio was a WWE town and we never got WCW events.

I remember asking him when was WCW coming to town, and in that famous gravely voice, he said "I don't know man you're gonna have to ask my agent." At least that's what I remember he told me.

Thinking about it today I am honored and priviliged that I met one of my favorites back when I was a kid.

It is more sad that myself and other fans will never get the opportunity to see Savage accept his WWE Hall of Fame induction while alive.

I believe he will be inducted into the hall posthumously next year at Wrestlemania 28.

Savage joins a long list of other legends that were childhood favorites of mine that have passed way before their time.

Savage, real name Randy Poffo, is survived by his wife Lynn and was only 58 years old. My condolonces and prayers are with his family.

He definitely was the cream of the crop. OHHH YEAAAHHHH.

RIP Macho Man Randy Savage

No comments:

Post a Comment